Frequently Asked Questions
What's a co-op anyway?
A co-op is a democratically owned and operated enterprise that provides a product or service to its member-owners. CNFC is a consumer-owned natural foods co-op.
What does ownership do for me?
Owners enjoy many benefits, including:
- Vote in Board of Directors elections and upon policy (excluding exempt members)
- Run for a seat on the Board of Directors (excluding exempt members)
- Receive annual Patronage Dividends
- Receive our monthly e-newsletter
- Receive member advantage pricing at other North American food cooperatives
- Apply for our Economic Assistance Program, which offers 5% off to all qualifying member-owners.
- Receive Co-op Advantage Pricing (CAP), which are owner-only sales pricing
- Receive quarterly coupon books
- Utilize our Owner Appreciation Days, where all owners get 10% off their purchases
Do I have to be an owner to shop at the Co-op?
No. Anyone can shop at the Co-op, but only Owners receive our monthly CAP pricing.
The Co-op gives out cards like other grocers, so what's the difference?
When you provide personal information in exchange for a club card at a conventional grocery store, you're exchanging purchasing information for discount pricing. At the CNFC, your membership card signifies co-ownership and, per our bylaws, we don't track your individual purchases or share your personal information.
How do I join?
Joining is easy and affordable. Simply complete our ownership application available in the store and make an initial equity investment of $10-$300. Please see our How to Join page for more information.
Can I get my money back?
You may request an ownership equity refund at any time you wish providing that such payment will not, in the opinion of the Board, unduly impair the capital of the Cooperative, as per our Bylaws. You will need to inform our Ownership Coordinator, in writing, of your desire to do so.